4 days ago
Intern At Redr
Intern at RedR Australia
An internship with RedR Australia will provide exposure to the operations of RedR Australia and insights into the humanitarian sector. RedR Australia’s internship program aims to empower junior/entry-level professionals by providing meaningful learning opportunities and opportunities to engage in hands-on tasks, equipping them with relevant skills and tools for success.
Key details of the internship
Interns will be supported by a supervisor and allocated a buddy. Interns will engage in various activities to strengthen their professional experience and undertake activities which may support the learning outcomes as part their university competency requirements. Depending on the varying needs of the organisation, opportunities for internships may be undertaken in the following services (click on the link to view the position description):
- International Emergency Response
- Humanitarian Training
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
- Registered Training Organisation (RTO)
- Finance and Administration
- Human Resources
Who we are looking for
The intern should be either a tertiary student or recent graduate in a relevant discipline. Throughout the selection process we will be looking for the following attributes:
- Interest in the humanitarian sector and international emergency response
- High level verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to be a team player
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn
- Excellent computer skills
- Showing initiative
- Ability to undertake research, analysis, evaluation
What the intern will gain?
- Better understanding of RedR Australia
- Excellent pathway to gain relevant knowledge and skills
- Insight into the humanitarian sector
- Connections with like-minded people in the sector
- Support in a friendly team environment
"Being an intern at RedR Australia was so much more than I expected. I am currently in my final year of an Arts degree majoring in International Studies and Philosophy and while that is incredibly interesting it gives no clear direction as to how to work in the humanitarian sector. The internship formed that bridge for me. Over the three months I was given the opportunity to work on projects with real depth and the ability to have an actual effect on the organisation by undertaking a variety of research projects, sitting in on planning days and helping with the implementation of training courses. I feel very lucky to have been given this experience and would highly recommend RedR for other students looking for an internship."- Jessy Pugh (Training intern)
"My experience interning at RedR has been incredibly valuable, both personally and professionally. It’s given me the chance to put the theory I’ve learnt at university to practical use in a meaningful way. I feel like my time here has really helped me to develop my skills and knowledge, and gain invaluable experience in the humanitarian sector. Interning at RedR hasn’t been the kind of internship I was expecting. Instead of being sent to fetch coffee, I’ve been assigned tasks that are worthwhile for myself and the organisation. I’ve been given a lot freedom to choose what I want to work on and the RedR staff have been very helpful and willing to help me with anything I have been unsure about. I have been made to feel like I am a real part of the RedR community and I’m sad to be leaving!" - Clancy Holzgrefe (Communications intern)
An intern at RedR Australia is deemed as a volunteer. No payment or allowances will be made for the duration of the internship.
To be eligible you must be:
- At least 18 years of age
- A tertiary student or a recent graduate in a relevant discipline at a University or TAFE
- Eligible to volunteer in Australia (if you hold a visa, you may still be able to volunteer, please visit www.volunteeringvictoria.org.au for more information)
How long is the internship?
Internships are generally between 10 - 12 weeks with the primary focus on providing on-the-job training and industry exposure. The number of days per week and hours per day you spend with us will depend on your university contact hours. We are flexible and will find a time commitment that’s mutually agreeable. It is preferred that the intern can commit to 2 - 3 days per week.
Where and when does the internship take place?
All internships will be undertaken at our North Melbourne office. We do not send interns on international projects. In general, we host internships to the following intakes:
- February to April
- May to July
- August to October
Every year a limited number of places for internships are available and unfortunately it is not possible to accommodate all requests. RedR Australia’s capacity to host an intern may differ from year to year. All internship opportunities will be promoted on our Current Vacancies page. We welcome your interest.
How to apply
- Check our Current Vacancies page to search for available Internships.
- Read details of internship and check with your educational institution to see if an internship with RedR Australia will fulfil your learning requirements.
- Submit your completed internship application form and CV by email to email@example.com or post to: RedR Australia, 55-61 Barry St, Carlton, Victoria, 3053.
- Please submit an application for each area of interest.
- As part of the screening process the candidate may be requested to provide referees. RedR Australia will notify you whether or not you have been accepted for an internship placement. If you are accepted, we will advise you of details of the activities/project work to be undertaken.
- If both you and RedR Australia are satisfied with the internship placement arrangements, you will be asked to complete a police check.
RedR Australia work placements aim to provide industry experience to professionals entering the workforce through an employment program. If you are interested in completing a work placement, please ask your course coordinator to contact RedR Australia via firstname.lastname@example.org on your behalf.
For further information please email email@example.com.